Friday, March 20, 2015

Ban Scottish Bagpipes Eh?? Let's ban ignorance instead!

Ok people, we got a real point of contention here. I'm not messing around this time! Let's put an end to ignorance, specifically ignorance of celtic (in this case Scottish/Irish) music, its history, and its culture!

What am I rambling - nae - ranting about??!! Why an ever so eloquently worded (cleaning up my puke) article written by one Elizabeth Griewe. And yes, just so you know I spelled her last name incorrectly. It's spelled with the "e" before "i" and I'm not going to give her the luxury of properly spelling her name.

Now to the point - she wrote a commentary article for the Chicago Tribune. Its subject is why "we" should ban Scottish bagpipes on St. Patrick's Day and her history of growing up around the typical drunken piper...squealing cat bag... blah blah blah.

I could go on to point out all of the inconsistencies in her article. I could go on to point out her lack of research on the history of Scottish pipes and how they translate to the types of pipes that the Irish play. But, I'm not going to stoop to her level. I'm not going pull an Elizabeth "Griewe" and not do research on a popular culture/holiday and say that I don't like "X" and "X" should be banned.

What I will say is this; we need to ban this girl's and everyone's (that's a discussion for another day) ignorance of other cultures and holidays associated with them. The opening bravado of Ms. Elizabeth's commentary states; "Cover your ears! The bagpipes are baaaaack!" To which I respond to Queen Elizabeth COVER YOUR EYES! THE IGNORANCE IS BAAAAACK!

What can I say? How is it OK for her to recommend banning an instrument from another culture? What if I wrote an article saying how much I hated the sitar, or ummm...some other ethnically related instrument that was typically played on an Indian (or other country's) holiday?? Firstly, I love the sitar; secondly, I have no idea if that is something that actually happens in India. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and you get my point here.

Look, I'm all for free speech (within reason) and people having their opinions. However, every now and then someone comes along and makes a blanketing statement about a whole group of musicians that they don't know anything about and have never heard quality playing on said instrument! The lesson here is, if you're reading this (what a lucky soul you are too!) and you want to write a commentary about another country's holiday, please please do your research on the history of any instruments/music and its significance to the natives.

Hey, if only Queen Elizabeth paid attention to the Palmeronian Rant, then she would be able to see some quality piping videos every week!!


1 comment:

  1. "Free speech (within reason)"! Palmer all those trips north of the 49th have Canadafied you!

    ReplyDelete